Monday, August 29, 2011

Games and Me, Games and Society, Games and Life

Games and Me:

I have had a happy history with games. While I do not share a lot of the the nostalgia some gamers have with Atari, NES, SNES, Sega and Playstation gen.1 because I did not grow up with them in the household, I don’t really think I have missed out on a lot. The games I grew up with were on mono-chrome Apple computer monitors, games that had to be found with DOS, early 3D games on PC, and Nintendo 64 much later. These days, I play primarily on PC. My enjoyment of games is not limited to videogames; I also grew up enjoying card games and board games and still do this day.

Games and Society

I am still not so sure how games can impact society in terms of changing social and political views, even though games are protected with ideas based on freedom of speech (a freedom meant to help meaningful views develop through discourse). I do know they are commercially driven and, hopefully, sell because they are fulfilling in some way at least.

Games and Life

Games and life feed off of each other; one would be less enriched without the other.

1 comment:

  1. Very informative post Justin. Your thought process is deep and you addressed the topics very well. I give you a 6 for your post.

    ReplyDelete